Mar

February photos with One Community

by lisacng / 30 comments / Read comments or add one!

I wanted to take the creativity of my photography up a notch this year, so joined “One Community” from Sarah’s blog.

One Community is a monthly photo project in which participants photograph their lives and communities with themes in mind. The themes vary by month. The goal is to both showcase similarities and differences in our communities worldwide – and bring us all closer together in understanding through art.

The “mission statement” (now that I’ve reread it) is so deep, exploring similarities and differences in our communities worldwide. I just went around trying to capture interesting photos ;). Anywho, the February photo themes were: shower, green, friendship, calm. If you’re interested, here are my January One Community photos.

Shower
Last Tuesday, I went to work and THIS started happening! What the what?! Snow shower. Luckily, it was barely a coating. However, this past Monday, we got over 8 inches in DC. Argh.

No more snow, please!

Green
As my 3.5-yr old (J) and I were grocery shopping, he pointed out this green pepper and asked if he/it could ride in the cart with him. He kissed the green pepper and placed it gently in the cart. After we paid for the green pepper (and other groceries, of course), he asked if the green pepper could sit in the car seat with him. This was all funny and weird at the same time, hehe.

His best friend, a green pepper | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Later that week, he wanted to take the green pepper out of the fridge and play chase with it. Meaning, I had to chase him and the green pepper. A few days later, when the green pepper went bad, I had to toss it and tell J that green pepper got sick and couldn’t stay with us anymore. J hasn’t asked about the green pepper since. I hope I told him the right thing about the green pepper.

Friendship
Kids can make friends (and enemies) with anyone. At the playarea in the mall, J (in white, running away) made friends with the boy in plaid on top of the car. They were chasing one another, killing imaginary sharks. I’m not into my son killing anything, but whatever, we’re at the playground. Let me tell ya, I did not like this kid from the start. He was older than the other kids and throwing his weight around. This kid and J got into an altercation at the treehouse slide. I couldn’t see completely inside the treehouse but I could see J’s arm swatting that kid. Oh how friendships turn bad so quickly. Most likely, J asked that kid to let J have his turn down the slide, but the kid refused, so J did what he does so often does these days, hit. Even if J wasn’t in the wrong, I had no visual proof, so I promptly reprimanded J for hitting and we sat on the bench while I finished feeding Baby O her bottle. What I really wanted to do was to tell his kid to buzz-off or at least show some manners. Oh, I saw the kid’s mom napping in the corner of the playarea. Classy and responsible, huh? Sometimes, I really despise these public playareas.

New friendships at the playground

Calm
I couldn’t think of anything to capture that represented “calm”. Though I wish my life would calm down just a bit. Too many changes in too short a time. Oh, and this snow again, warm again nonsense isn’t helping either.

Check out how other’s interpreted shower, green, friendship, calm.

How would you interpret shower, green, friendship, or calm lately?

Subscribe! Facebook! Twitter! Email! Pinterest! Bloglovin! Instagram! Image Map
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
View all posts in Photography

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Rick March 5, 2014 at 9:23 am

I’m relieved, I was afraid One Community might be One Direction’s tone deaf cousins. :). That’s cute about the green pepper. Perhaps J saw a talking one on a children’s tv show??? Calm is hard to capture these days. We were on the road at 4:15am on Monday to get to Hopkins in Baltimore for surgery (my wife–she’s recovering really well). We kept hearing the forecast for ice and snow, and kept hoping for just rain. Long week.

rooth March 5, 2014 at 10:24 am

Awww, J and his bell pepper, that’s really sweet. Does he only like green ones or do the orange and red ones get included as well?

lisacng March 5, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Hi Joyce, No, just the green one he liked, hehe.

Joyce March 5, 2014 at 10:52 am

This past Saturday we went to a story time at the library and there was one annoying kid there that first took Will’s chair and then started taking Will’s books. The mom and grandma did nothing about it — maybe they didn’t see it, I don’t know. But my husband took the books back and basically told the kid to watch it. I know most parents are probably not as confrontational, but my husband isn’t one of them. One time he even sarcastically told one of the parents at the playground that, “you got a great kid here” when the kid was being mean and blocking people and the parent was just sitting there not paying attention.

lisacng March 5, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hi Joyce, That kid sounds (sarcastic) awesome. Glad your hubby spoke up. Can I take him to the playground with us ;).

Ginger - Just One of the Boys March 5, 2014 at 11:01 am

Ah, yes. We have had those kinds of showers, too. So ready for spring! Adore the pic of your son and his green pepper. How cute! Playgrounds certainly can bring out the Mama Bear in all of us. It sounds like you handled the situation well – but I know that it’s still frustrating. Keep up the good fight! :)

Jane Yoo March 5, 2014 at 11:21 am

such a tricky situation at those public playgrounds! and lol about the green pepper! so cute!!

Henry March 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm

8 inches of snow?? Well, we got 4 inches of rain here in So Cal last week~ LoL … it was like the end of days!! So cute about the green pepper … too bad you didn’t draw a face on it .. LoL .. funny how you told J it got sick and had to go! hahaha ..

Sarah @ Beauty School Dropout March 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm

That green pepper story made me laugh out loud! If I were a little better with a sewing machine, I’d make him a little green pepper stuffed toy. =)

Oh, the public playground… it’s hard when yours are the littler ones on the playground. That just reminds me I’ll have to be sure to teach Josiah to watch out for the younger kids when he’s the older kid terrorizing the place. (Hopefully that won’t be the case!)

lisacng March 5, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hi Sarah, Awww how sweet! I’m so sure that Josiah won’t be the one tormenting the younger ones! You are too attentive and caring.

sue at nobaddays March 5, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Very cute story about the green pepper ;-)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks March 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm

If Gavin is ever physical, whether in the right or wrong, I always take the opportunity to talk about using our words. If he hit or kicks me, I ask him if he wants me to hit or kick him. He always says no. I ask why. He responds that it hurts. So, I remind him that it hurts when he hits/kicks others and he usually backs down.

One time, however, I actually reprimanded someone else’s kid (also at a public play space in the mall, WTF?!?) … because that kid was twice Gavin’s size and not paying attention to the fact there were little kids in this play space and kept knocking them over. Have no idea where the kid’s parents were, but I stopped him from running and immediately demanded that he look out for little kids while he played. I was totally prepared for that kid’s parent to exchange words with me for reprimanding their child … guess I shouldn’t be surprised they were nowhere to be found. ;)

lisacng March 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Good for you, Nilsa! I should be more bold next time, especially if it’s my kid’s safety in jeopardy. Like you said, if the parents were around, I’d hope they say something. If they didn’t, then they shouldn’t be surprised if you/I did.

Stephanie March 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm

J is looking less toddler and more little boyish… he’s growing up! I’m not a fan of those public play areas either. We always try to find not too crowded outdoor playgrounds to go to although it’s admittedly harder when the weather is crummy. Hope you can find a moment of calmness sometime today! Maybe a cup of hot cocoa after the kids have gone to bed?!? :)

Jane March 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm

So funny about J and his green pepper.
I feel the same way about the public play areas, definitely not my favorite. I had to stop an older child for throwing things at the younger children. His dad was napping in the corner and had no clue what was going on.

Janine Huldie March 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I love the concept of taking photos of certain topics monthly to expand your photography skills. So far looks like you met the challenge wonderfully and the green pepper shot really put a smile on my face and the story behind it, too!! :)

Tamara March 5, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Not sure how I’d interpret them!
Des likes to hold apples in his hand. One in each hand. Sometimes if we’re feeling desperate, we’ll let him and inevitably forget about the apples. Today I saw two bruised apples in the kids’ bedroom. Oops!

Allie @ Days Like These March 5, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Great pictures! I really feel for all you on the East Coast and Midwest this winter. Someone asked me this week if we would ever move back (we’re from Wisconsin but live in Colorado now) and I said NO WAY. Spring has to come soon….right?

Lesley Beeton March 6, 2014 at 3:12 am

I don’t envy all the snow you’ve had – we’ve had none, just rain, rain, rain.
Love the green pepper story :-)

Amy of while wearing heels March 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Loved the story of J and his green pepper. Kids are so funny. Glad he hasn’t missed his pepper since he got sick :)

Sorry to hear about your experience in the play area. We had those experiences ALL the time. Grace is such a quiet little girl that more aggressive kids just sort of sought her out. I feel your pain and can empathize with your own experience.

Nicole March 6, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I am so with you on the snow, warm, snow thing. It absolutely wreaks havoc on me. Spring is only weeks away! I enjoyed your photos as always. Saying a little prayer to the Produce God for the green pepper. :)

Funky Wellies March 7, 2014 at 8:35 am

Loving the “Green” photo! :)
I hope that your life will soon become a bit more serene. xx

Leelo R March 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm

The green pepper suits wel with your J´s shirt :) and loved the story. Children are just so funny and kind of sweet sometimes :)

Shana Norris March 7, 2014 at 11:24 pm

The story about J getting into an altercation with his new friend made me smile. Kids can be so fickle, huh? Hang in there, Lisa. Calm will visit your life again!!

Colleen March 9, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I love the green pepper story and his matching shirt!

Kelly March 11, 2014 at 6:24 am

Hehe too sweet about J and the green pepper story. Yikes sorry to hear about that, playground altercations are no fun and neither is all this snow. Totally wish spring weather will be arriving soon.

rika@vm March 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

8 inches of snow?! That’s crazy! We had few inches of snow in Oregon last month and in November and many trees fell down during these times. Haha, your son is really funny – what’s up with the green pepper?! Did he like to eat them too?

lisacng March 17, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Hi Rika! 8″ is just not right!! And we got a few more inches. It’s March! Oy. My son doesn’t mind green peppers. I think he likes them better raw.