Feb

A photo a week

by lisacng / 12 comments / Read comments or add one!

I joined fellow photographer friends for a “photo a week” project. Here are our prompts. This week, number nine, is “animal”, in case you want to join us! Of the eight I’ve taken for this “challenge”, my favorites have been week 4 bokeh and week 6 hands.

You may remember the following photo from that time I brought snow into the house for our 3.5-yr old (J) to play with since it was too cold to be outside. I took this one to represent “bokeh” since I was recently reminded that bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur and is not limited to light sources that are out-of-focus. To create bokeh, use a small f-stop. I used f/2.8. A smaller f-stop actually means the lens is open more. Counter-intuitive, I know. Took me a while to “get it” too.

Snow day - bring it inside (trains included) | copyright Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Check out my friends’ bokeh – string of lights, humorous one.

For the “hands” prompt, I took a lot of photos. I was trying to make the hands the subject without taking the hands out of context, if that makes any sense. So, here’s my favorite one. It’s of Baby O’s hand. My favorite part is the reflection of her arm and hand in the water that she is playing with.

Hands, in water | copyright Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Other “hand” photos I took: Baby O sucking on her hand, which was her favorite toy for a while.
Hands, favorite toy | copyright Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

This one is a keeper because it just melts my heart to see my son (green sleeve, top) holding his sister’s hand.
Hands, holding| copyright Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

I wasn’t specifically looking to take a photo-a-week in my 2014 goals, but it’s definitely been helpful in boosting my creativity, experimenting with angles and perspective, and finally in defining my photography style as I now have more chances to practice shooting and editing photos.

To see more of my photo-a-week photos, visit my Flickr.

Meeting weekly goals sure is easier with a group of friends, don’t you think?

Subscribe! Facebook! Twitter! Email! Pinterest! Bloglovin! Instagram! Image Map
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
View all posts in Photography

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Rick February 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

3.5! Where is the time going??? It seems like J was just 3.25. :D
They are terrific pictures and the hand-holding one is so sweet.

PS – It is easier with friends.

Shana Norris February 26, 2014 at 10:45 am

Gorgeous photos, Lisa. Simply gorgeous. Last year a friend and I got together for coffee once a week to check in with each other and discuss how our goals were going. I really miss that this year. It was a huge help, not to mention great fun.

Tamara February 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I love holding hands photo. Really love the one of Baby O’s hand! Baby hands are gorgeous and you have captured them so well.

rooth February 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Awww chubby baby hands, they’re so sweet

Stephanie February 26, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Baby hands are so cute! I have been trying to do a daily photo challenge and have done three days thus far. It’s not easy to find time and my (modest) goal is to go for five days and then return to my weekly photo challenge. :) Seeing your photos always motivates me to keep practicing… thanks for sharing!

Amy of while wearing heels February 26, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Beautiful pictures. What wonderful moments you captured. One day, these will bring back memories that bring a smile to your face. Your pictures always tell a lovely story.

rika@vm March 2, 2014 at 7:45 am

Bokeh is my favorite parts of the photos – sometime I love to use f/2.8 a lot but you’ve to make sure there’s plenty of natural light to avoid the grainy photos! I love the hand photo, very beautiful capture – looks like melty ice and how she’s taking over the icy world, hehe!

Sarah Alway March 4, 2014 at 7:05 pm

These photos are amazing, what kind of camera are you using?! I feel like we need to buy one before baby boy arrives… he deserves more than iPhone photos, LOL.

lisacng March 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Aw, thanks so much Sarah! I use a Canon Rebel Ti1 with a fixed 50 mm f/1.8 lens. If I had a do-over, I’d choose a camera with high ISO capabilities, since I’m shooting inside most of the time. I wouldn’t say you “need” to buy one but I’m sure glad we did. Though it takes time to get used to using it. If you want a basic comparison of Canon DSLRs, I did one >> http://expandng.com/2013/11/the-dslr-i-now-want/

Kelly March 5, 2014 at 5:48 am

Such beautiful photos, this sounds like such a great project! Love all these hand pictures – they are so sweet :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks March 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Love photos like the train one, where the toy is in focus, but you can still see the (blurred) child playing with it. Nice job on the bokeh! Also love O’s hand in the water … as a viewer, I KNOW you want me to look at her hand in the water, unlike the one of her sucking on her hand, where I’m not sure if it’s just a cute shot of your little girl. ;) Nice job on the photos!