Jan

Snow day {photos}

by lisacng / 24 comments / Read comments or add one!

One of the best birthday gifts I received was a day off of work due to snow and the opportunity to take photos of our 3.5-yr old boy (J) having a ball in it. Enjoy!

Photo notes: I “warmed up” many of these photos in Lightroom since they looked gray SOOC. All photos were taken: Canon T1i | 50mm f/1.8 lens | ISO200 | f/2.8 | 1/250 sec.

When I asked him to smile for a photo, this is the face he always gave.
Bundled up | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

When he found a snow pile that someone else had made, he wanted to “unpile” the snow.
Snow pile | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

First snow | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Trekking | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

By far, his favorite activity was throwing snowballs at me.
Snowball! | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Again, some of his “faces” when I asked him if I could take his picture. Hilarious.
Posing 2 | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com
Posing | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

Snow trees | Lisa C. Ng at expandng.com

I kinda hope we get one more snow event because the hubs picked-up a sled (after the snowfall pictured) that he and J are just itching to use.

This post contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through the link may result in a commission for us.

Did you enjoy the snow?

Subscribe! Facebook! Twitter! Email! Pinterest! Bloglovin! Instagram! Image Map
View all posts in Photography / The Kids

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Brad January 15, 2014 at 9:06 am

I love these so much. The 5th one… with the snow in his mittens… man, I love it. We don’t get much snow in my area of NC although we did get some for half a day last February and I’ve had a post drafted that I’m meaning to share, but I keep hoping we’ll get a little snow this year so I’m holding off. These pictures are great!

Henry January 15, 2014 at 1:13 pm

J’s smile is so cute!! So jealous that you guys were able to get some snow .. that’s the #1 thing I miss about the east coast!! Wish our kids could experience snow days too! Hope you guys get another snow day so Alan and J can break in that sled! Can’t wait for those pics~!

Zi @ bumbleofjoy January 15, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Great pics and looks like a great time! John is usually the one that plays with the kids in the snow and they cannot get enough of it. I hope Alan and J get to use the sled, I’m sure you will get great pics of that too!

Rick January 15, 2014 at 1:56 pm

You may be tired of hearing this, but these are great pictures! I especially like the first one…j is so cute in it (I think that’s a preview of what he’ll look like at 80).

I want you to get a second snow day, but I hope it doesn’t fall in my neighborhood. :)

Sydney January 15, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Those photos are wonderful! Great job, Lisa! I love snow days. Everything looks so much prettier covered in the fresh snow. Enjoy the rest of your week =)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 15, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Love these photos! At least J looks at the camera when you ask him. Gavin used to turn away from the camera; now he just gives me the hand. I have to resort to bribery to get him to cooperate. Sigh.

Taking photos in the snow is HARD. When I was looking for a wedding photographer, one tip was to look closely at the wedding dresses. Be wary if you couldn’t see the detail of each wedding dress. Why? Taking photos with predominantly white subjects is HARD. Capture the details of the white and the rest of the photo looks dark. Capture the lighting of the rest of the photo and the white can look washed out. I hear you’re supposed to overexpose a bit … any chance you do that?

lisacng January 15, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hi Nilsa! Kids, they certainly do what they want! As for taking photos were whites are more susceptible to being washed-out, like in snow, totally agree. I actually under-expose in-camera & then increase exposure/whites while editing. This is because if whites are washed-out/blown-out in-camera, that data cannot be recovered. It’s like the pixels contain 0 information. Is that clear? A histogram could show you/me what areas are blown-out to avoid this happening.

Mandi January 15, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Cute faces! Baby C wants a sled too.

Stephanie January 16, 2014 at 2:43 am

So cute! He is really growing up! Fab photography, as usual. I am thinking about buying Lightroom… I keep hearing so many great things about it. Your white balance looks perfect!

Ihilani January 16, 2014 at 2:51 am

How fun! The one time we did live in snow, I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn’t really appreciate was driving and scraping my windshield in the morning. Other than that it was great!

Sarah @ Beauty School Dropout January 16, 2014 at 7:29 am

Great photos. I was so frustrated with our extreme cold last week — it was one of the rare times we had enough snow to really get out and play in… and it was just WAY TOO COLD (like -4 F) to enjoy it. My son insisted on going out one day even thought I tried to tell him it was too cold, he lasted about 2 minutes before he came back to the door sobbing that it was too cold.

Joyce January 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I am kind of torn between snow. I like it, but I don’t like it when the government closes and I am forced to take a personal day.

Judy C January 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

These photos are so precious. Such a cute smile. Where did you get those mittens? They seem to stay on well. I can’t seem to find a pair for C that will stay on his little hands.

lisacng January 17, 2014 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Judy! We got those from The Children’s Place. It was a set with hat + mittens. They are warm and stay-on but do get wet from the snow. Next time, we’re going to buy mittens that have a water-proof/resistant lining to them. Good luck finding a pair!

TJ January 17, 2014 at 5:51 pm

These snow pictures are just about the cutest :)
xo TJ

Kelly January 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Such beautiful photos and looks like such a fun snow day:) J’s smile is awesome and really love the photos by the fence!

Lou Lou January 19, 2014 at 2:58 am

Gorgeous pics! He is getting so big. Snow has come to Stockholm too and the girls are loving it as well.

Amy of while wearing heels January 19, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Oh my goodness, look at that smile on his face. What incredible pictures. Looks like you both enjoyed your unexpected snow day.

rooth January 19, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Okay that may just be the cutest face EVER!

Marie January 20, 2014 at 10:59 am

Haha! He’s so cute!

We need another snow day! Although technically, I don’t get any snow days. I still have to get into work or if there’s no possibility of driving/metroing to work, then I have to work from home. Yay.

Sandra January 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I love his smiley faces! My kids did that, too, when they were younger. Smiling just means scrunching up your face at the camera! I love the next to the last one–a little boy against a big wall is just a beautiful capture!

Jaina January 22, 2014 at 9:18 am

The ones of him against the fence are so cute! Looks like a proper staged photoshoot, with the colours there too.